Thursday, September 14, 2006

Greetings

Thanks for stopping by. Glad you found the place.

I haven't quite settled how serious I am about being anonymous on this blog. So I haven't decided whether I will discuss my profession or past travel experience or name the smallish city in Korea that I am living in.

I haven't been here long. Do I have anything interesting to say yet? Well, you be the judge.

The trip here came off more or less without incident. Flight from US to Seoul Incheon, bus to Seoul Gimpo, Flight from Gimpo to here. Nervous moments at the baggage carousel in Incheon, but my second bag finally arrived. On the plane there was an ad for something called the BBB card which I want to check out. You call the number on it and are connected to a volunteer interpreter. Could be really helpful. And other than that we watched MI-3, Nacho Libre, and some Korean romantic comedy about a ne'er do well being forced by his grandfather to become a schoolteacher or lose his inheritance.

Gimpo is pronounced how it's spelled. This goes against what my Korean tutorial said was going to happen-- namely that the relevant Korean letter is only pronounced "g" when it is in the middle of a word, and at the beginning of a word will be the unvoiced version of g, i.e., "k".

Gimpo Airport contains an appliance showroom billed as a "Free Experience Space."

Water coolers here do not have the little conical paper cups. Instead, you get something that looks a bit like the little envelope your keycard comes in at some hotels. It's made of paper which is approximately the same weight as ordinary notebook paper. Maybe even a little lighter. Drinking from it is not as hard as you'd think, but if you're really thirsty, you will find that by the fourth refill it is beginning to lose structural integrity. Now, one thing to clarify is that the water cooler itself is not what Americans typically think of as a water cooler-- with the big jug of water on top. It's a filter hooked up to the wall. And I don't think I have seen a drinking fountain yet.

The wierdest thing yet, by far, has been the signs indicating the police stations. They feature cartoons. Something like a Pokemon in a police uniform with "Police Station" in English and Korean (I'm assuming that's what the Korean says) and an arrow. Buh?

My apartment here is unfurnished. It's good I decided at the last minute not to bring a pot and pan: there is no stove. There is also no fridge. My host at work did arrange a mattress and some bedding. I'm not sure if I feel like getting anything else. I won't be here that long.

But anyway, I should quit with this, and go find some dinner.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home