Friday, September 15, 2006

Additional Notes

I'm still getting my feet under me here. One thing about which I was fairly dumb was access to my American bank account. I just assumed the ATMs here would be on the big international networks-- basically, because S. Korea has a reputation as the most wired country in the world. Well, most ain't. There is a Citibank in town, but we're a bit outside of town. I don't know how feasible it is to get downtown on my own and will feel like a heel if I one of my colleagues has to be put out every time I need an ATM. Someone is taking me to the Citibank today. I need 400,000 won (knock off the last three zeros for the approximate dollar value) for a deposit on my apartment and could maybe use a little more walking-around money for until my first paycheck.

On the upside, it's not as bad as I was initially told it was. The first time I asked if there was some international bank nearby I was told there were none in this city, and thought I might need to go to the nearest large city two hours away, or all the way to Seoul.

Also on the upside, I've got my computer working already as you can see. The plug adapter I bought in Lebanon works here as well. And after a bit of work we were able to get me hooked up to the internet. It took a bit of work because I'm unfamiliar with network stuff and the network guy was unfamiliar with Macs.

Went downtown to try to get me registered at the office where foreigners have to register if they're staying longer than 90 days, but were told to come back Monday. Although, actually, I think I'm not staying more than 90 days. But what can you do?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home