Saturday, October 14, 2006

"The Indian Guy"

Here I had not been following the UNSG race closely enough to know there was an Indian guy... a link for anyone else curious (or shamefaced): here

The other day the students wanted me to say which was better: Indian rice or Korean rice. Needless to say, I avoided answering.

Which is an elliptical way of saying, "well, in that case I'm neutral." Not that it matters now. Or earlier.

But ya gotta like this: ""India is not, as people keep calling it, an underdeveloped country, but rather, in the context of its history and cultural heritage, a highly developed one in an advanced state of decay." (I see he's not just an Indian, he's a Mallu. Well... I'm still neutral. But click the last link before Wikipedia gets around to cleaning it up.)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh, yeah, i forgot that mallu part... but a SG in UN might be just like a vice president at best.
And you dont have to take sides, i just was trying to mess; without realizing you had no idea about the indian candidate angle.
pax vobis.

4:29 AM  
Blogger GB said...

How could you forget the mallu part? I hope Chennai (to continue the practice of designating people by where they live) is not reading! At any rate, I knew you were kidding: did you think I would believe you had suddenly become an Indian patriot?

12:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

really enjoyed the quotes from Shashi Tharoor. I guess I'm just homesick for the idea that hanging out with people different from you is a good thing. And that the best countries are able somehow to continue to embrace that.

2:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home