Saturday, October 07, 2006

Does this work?

I would guess that if I start adding Devanagiri and/or Hangul to my posts it will either not work or just be annoying for people. But let me just check. Please report back whether it makes your browser do anything annoying.

I love transliterated English. My bottled water is called 스파클, which I would transliterate as "Supahkul." (If you don't get it, try reading it aloud.)

Update: I just noticed: I should tell you to read the "u"'sin Supahkul as "uh" not "oo." All though it's a pretty good name for bottled water the other way, too...

This reminds me of the time I was looking at the sign on the top of Churchgate station in Bombay, looking at the sign which I had always assumed I could not read-- I think it was चाचगेत which I would transliterate as "Chaachget"-- and realizing that in fact I could read it after all.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whenever I get a web-page with Korean characters, my browser tells me to download an alphabet and then it tells me to insert the disk with the alphabet. However, on your blog, the Korean characters just come out as little boxes. Not a problem, but not extra information either.

1:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My firefox got it perfectly! Both Hangul and Hindi. Which is pretty amazing considering it's running on a unix system. Supahkul sounds like ghetto slang.

3:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

my firefox did not get it at all, neither hindi nor hangul. i think browsers and fonts just do not match, or at least i do not know to to wrok them ! i would like to know what did marmadont do to see the fonts in firefox.

11:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home