Saturday, September 23, 2006

Lunch

Professor C has three graduate students. I may have already mentioned these guys because they helped me move my mattress in, and one of them, J, spent the better part of the first day I was here helping me get situated. Anyway, they have a seminar which meets Wednesday evening(?) and Saturday morning (!!) which I've attended the last two Saturdays (on Wednesday I forgot). So, anyway I just went for lunch with these three guys at a Chinese restaurant in town. Things learned:
* S. Korea has compulsory military service.
* It involves being forced to play a lot of soccer.
* Korean for "army" sounds something like Kunda.
* They call the compulsory army soccer the "Kundasliga" (pun on German Bundesliga).
* Korean for "neighbor" sounds something like "Google." So "anything I don't know I just ask Google" also becomes a pun.
* The MVP of the most recent SuperBowl was born in Seoul to an African American father and Korean mother.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home