Monday, October 30, 2006

I just ate the strangest thing

it was called mul neng myeon. [Spelling corrected... I think.] It was cold black noodles in cold beef broth, with plenty of hot pepper paste to color the broth red, slices of cucumber and ginger, half of a hard-boiled egg, and a slice of pear.

... [added later] the comparison I meant to make earlier and forgot was to the poem The Ice-Worm Cocktail by Robert Service. The additional comparison I came up with yesterday was, "If Glenn Danzig was a bowl of noodles, he'd be mul neng myeon."

... while looking for a "Glenn Danzig" link I happened across this, which purports to be video of Glenn getting punched out. Since people are trying to work in here, I have not watched it myself.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So how was it?

7:09 AM  
Blogger GB said...

pretty good. i could have done with a little less hot sauce, personally. when diluted by the beef broth, the heat was not prohibitive, but it did overwhelm the other flavors.

1:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It sounds delicious. But I suspect I would also prefer less heat.

When I was up north last week, our Polish friend made turnip slaw with sour cream, grated turnip and a little salt. I thought it was really good, but Nancy thought it was too hot.

7:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't think it was too hot, it just reminded me of some organic solvent.

1:28 PM  
Blogger GB said...

yeah, it wasn't really that it was so hot. the hot sauce also had a lot of salt or msg or something in it. at any rate it had a strong flavor and one ended up tasting mostly that, as opposed to cucumber, pear, egg, or noodle.

5:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home