Friday, October 20, 2006

More Korean Products

The toothpaste I brought with me is running low. I went to the store to get some more. The only familiar brand was "Close Up." But I opted for Clinx when I saw that it could protect my teeth from higher mathematics, as well as plaque.

And here we see cans from each of the four beers that are available at the store on campus.

On the end we have a "Tequila SLAMMA." I'm rather sorry I bought this. Not because the "Slamma" itself was lousy-- it was about what you'd expect-- but because the appeal was, I thought it was an interaction between two non-Anglo cultures that was not mediated through Anglo cultural dominance. (Or whatever. Help! I need a critical theorist to help me form my thoughts on this subject!) That's something I always find kind of interesting even if it's Koreans crudely stereotyping Mexicans to market a product. However, the product turns out, on closer inspection (peeling off the Hangul warning label to reveal the matching English warning label) to be Australian. This makes the quality of the english copy-- Armando Gonzales homestyle recipe for Lemon Tequila Slamma. Kept secret amongst locals for 80 years in Mexico-- a little inexcusable.

[typo fixed: the Australians are only to blame for the quality of the prose; the spelling was my fault.]

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What you talk about, American? That English on beer receptacle has perfect reason.

7:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is cafri caffeine free?

1:29 PM  
Blogger GB said...

i certainly hope so. i think the packaging looks like that of Fresca.

1:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home