Sunday, November 12, 2006

KyeongJu IV






Photowise, we're still at Bulguksa. One more thing to mention about Bulguksa is the meaning of Bulguksa. "Bul" means "Buddha." "Guk" means "nation." "Sa" means temple. Which probably explains why these folks have "Bulguksa: The Temple of Buddha Land."

With regards to the second syllable, it doesn't take a genius to arrive at a conclusion about the origins of a certain anti-East Asian slur. "Korean," by the way, is "Hanguk," while American is "Migook." (I'm not sure whether I linked to this earlier or not.) "Waygook," I see means "foreigner." I don't know about "Indian" or "Australian."

A propos of "Hanguk" I note that the largest ethnic group in China is also called "Han."

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't help myself: Australia is hoju (Bart Simpson's prospective nickname). India is indo (not very exciting).

1:45 AM  
Blogger GB said...

So, these are also the words for "person from Australia" and "person from India"? (And, why would you be trying to help yourself?)

1:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home