Saturday, September 30, 2006

Another Talk

I had to give another kind of talk today. This one was supposed to be an overview of the area I'm doing research in with some mention of my own work in it. I spent most of yesterday writing notes and rehearsing, but couldn't find a good presentation. This morning I tried to get up and write fresh from scratch. I was really nervous going in, and I don't think the talk went well, but I also don't think it was a disaster. The problem is, I ran out of time before I got to the specific stuff I have worked on. That's not good, but it's much less bad than the other day: I don't think I started speaking too quickly until the end, when one is allowed. At the end, my host was a bit dissatisfied that I did not give a proper description of my own results. But there was another faculty member in the audience who kept asking topical questions in a manner that gave me the impression he

(a) followed the talk,
(b) would not have followed if I had made more of a beeline for my own work,
(c) learned something he thought was interesting as a result.

So, in all I felt ok about it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home